Berta A. Blen is an attorney who enjoys and thrives on the challenges encountered in the courtroom. She represents clients in a wide range of civil cases, including those involving motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, libel/defamation, business, employment and real property disputes. Prior to joining Gates, Gonter, Guy, Proudfoot & Muench LLP, Ms. Blen gained legal experience representing individuals, businesses and public entities as both plaintiffs and defendants. Ms. Blen also served as In House counsel for two (2) California corporations.
Ms. Blen was born In Los Angeles, California. She graduated from the University of Southern California with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy and Political Science. Ms. Blen obtained her Juris Doctor from Rutgers University School of Law – Newark. While at Rutgers, Ms. Blen served as a Notes and Comments Editor for the Rutgers Law Review, won First Prize in the Rutgers Nathan Burkan Memorial Copyright Competition and had a Note, To Hear or Not to Hear: A legal Analysis of Subliminal Technology in the Arts, published in the Rutgers Law Review.
Ms. Blen enjoys experiencing new things with her husband and family. Ms. Blen is an avid gardener. She also designs and creates jewelry and furniture.
- California, June 1993
- United States District Court, Central District of California, June 1993
- United States District Court, Southern District of California, June 1993
- Rutgers University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D., 1992
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
- Bachelor of Arts, Major: Philosophy, Minor: Political Science, June 1989
Honors and Awards
- Notes and Comments Editor, Rutgers Law Review
- First Prize, Rutgers Nathan Burkan Memorial Copyright Competition
- Note, To Hear or Not to Hear: A legal Analysis of Subliminal Technology in the Arts, 44 Rutgers L. Rev. 871 (1992).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Filipino American Lawyers of San Diego
Past Employment Positions
- Zevnik Horton Guibord McGovern Palmer & Fognani, Los Angeles, CA
- Sedwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold, Los Angeles, CA
- Masuda Funai, Torrance, CA
- Callahan & Blaine, Santa Ana, CA
- Summer Intern, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York, New York, NY