Lisa Torres practices in the areas of business reorganizations, creditors’ rights, insolvency and commercial litigation since 1988. She represents a wide variety of clients including public agencies, secured and unsecured creditors, trustees, commercial landlords, insurance companies, creditors’ committees and debtors in significant bankruptcy cases in California and as pro hac vice counsel in Delaware, Arizona and Texas. Her practice includes bankruptcy, collections, commercial leasing, commercial litigation, corporate governance, corporate transactions, loan work-outs, and strategic business planning. Ms. Torres has developed particular expertise on executory contracts and lease agreements and represents commercial landlords, public agency landlords and national tenants in Chapter 11 cases. Although her practice is primarily focused on the representation of clients in the bankruptcy context, she has litigated substantial, complex commercial disputes in federal court.
Ms. Torres has served as a lecturer on bankruptcy topics to local bar association groups, legal secretary groups and advised City Attorneys, City Councils and other public constituencies about bankruptcy law and procedure.
In addition, Ms. Torres is an active volunteer in the non-profit arena. She serves as a board member on Innovations Academy’s school board and is founding board member of the Jamul Arts and Music Council, Inc. a non-profit established to promote art and music education. She is the recipient of the California Parent Teacher Association’s Honorary Service Award. Ms. Torres obtained certification in Non-Profit Management and counsels non-profits on governance and business planning issues.
- Southern Logistics Airport Authority
- City of Cathedral City
- Chula Vista
- Corporate Management Inc.
- Bankruptcy Basics for State Court Litigators, San Diego Law Library, 2009
- Bankruptcy 101, San Diego Legal Secretaries’ Association, 2008
- Navigating Through Section 365 of the Bankruptcy Code, San Diego Bar Association, 2004
- Hot Topics- Judges Roundtable, California Bankruptcy Forum, 2011
- Bankruptcy Basics, City of Cathedral City, 2010
Pro Bono Activities
- Director, Alpine Ranch Creative Health and Ecological Solutions, Inc.
- Jamul-Dulzura District Strategic Planning Group, 2002 – 2009
- Executive Board Member, Jamul Primary and Intermediate Schools PTA, 2002 – 2007
- Jamul Arts & Music Council Inc. (“JAM”), Director, 2003 – 2011
- Innovations Academy Charter School, Board of Trustees, 2010 – 2011
- Certificate in Nonprofit Mangement