Rick is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates with the rank of Associate. He is Southern California regional litigation counsel for Costco Wholesale, Hilton, WD-40 Company, Hewlett Packard, Diamond Parking, State Farm’s Homeowners Units, and Swiss Re, a leading specialty public entity insurer.
In his Toxic Tort practice, he was the point person for several clients on the leading edge of a successful, aggressive new litigation strategy in which “cost of defense” settlements were no longer an option. The result has been 15 successive dismissals without the payment of any settlement money, and a significant reduction is case filings against his clients.
Rick won the largest consolidated litigation ever filed against one of the largest U.S. warehouse retail companies involving a shootout during an armored car pickup. The seven cases involved catastrophic injuries and a total exposure in excess of $10 million. He successfully obtained summary judgment for the warehouse company on all of the cases.
Rick was named a “Southern California Rising Star” in the September 2004 edition of Los Angeles Magazine.
Speaking Engagements and Presentations
- Rick was a featured speaker at the National Costco Defense Counsel Conference on the impact of Ortega v. K-Mart on defending premises liability claims.
- He has been a featured presenter about premises liability at the annual meeting of the Southern California Tourism & Safety Association.
- He frequently presents free training seminars to his clients on incident investigation, claim evaluation, and dynamic changes in California law effecting their business and liability.
Rick was captain of the Track & Field team at the University of Notre Dame. He still ranks in the top 10 all-time performers at Notre Dame for the high jump and triple jump events. He was an All-CIF basketball player at Mission Viejo High School. He has completed two full marathons. He enjoys spending time with his wife and two children.
- Premises and Product Liability, Western State Consumer Law Journal
- Costco Wholesale Corporation
- State Farm Insurance
- Hilton Hotels
- WD-40 Company
- Premises Liability Hot Issues and Trends, Southern California Tourism & Safety Com, 2003 – 2005